With whole proteins and a rainbow of veggies, this cheddar chicken and broccoli quinoa casserole makes for a delicious nutrient-dense dinner.
Cheddar Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
My cooking philosophy is to keep it healthy and easy.
Recipes at Hammers N Hugs will include all-natural ingredients that can often be frozen and have been tested and approved by friends and family!
I am all about simple, easy dinners that require minimal extra effort.
Ideally, I prefer dinners that provide all the major macronutrients in one easy dish.
Enter my cheddar chicken and broccoli quinoa casserole.
What I love about this casserole is that it is a meal by itself, makes fabulous leftovers, and is a staple among my regular freezer meals.
There is 2T of flour that can easily be left out for a gluten-free meal.
For more one-dish dinners be sure to check out:
I always make this casserole in my Anchor Hocking casserole dish because the sealed lid makes it simple to put it right in the fridge or freezer.
Shop my kitchen & pin any of the images below for later!
Cheddar Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa Casserole
- 2 c quinoa
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour (leave out if GF)
- 5 1/2 c chicken stock
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets
- 2 lg carrots, diced
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 c nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- salt and pepper
- Combine 2c quinoa with 4c chicken stock in large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Take off lid and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Set aside.
- Cube the chicken and cook. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1 T butter and saute the diced onion and minced garlic for approx 4 minutes. Add the flour and stir to coat.
- Pour in the remaining 1 ½ c chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Add the broccoli and the carrots. Place the lid on the pan and while still simmering allow the vegetables to steam for approx 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the Greek yogurt and 1c shredded cheese.
- Add the chicken and the quinoa and mix. Transfer to a greased 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining 1c shredded cheese on top.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling on the top.
- Allow the casserole to cool completely in microwave/freezer safe glass bowl. Seal tightly and place in freezer. Thaw in fridge overnight. Reheat in microwave as needed.